Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The Hidden Score

Here is my submission for Round 2 of the NYC Midnight Short Screen Play Challenge. Our Genre was Crime Capre, Our Location was A Video Arcade and our object was A Bottle Of Olive Oil.

Enjoy!




THE HIDDEN SCORE

Who knew olive oil could be so special and rare.


FADE IN:

EXT. URBAN STREET WITH HISTORIC BUILDINGS, DAYTIME. COLORFUL ENTRANCE TO OLD STOREFRONT WITH SIGN ABOVE IN NEON THAT SAYS 'LANDINO'S FAMILY FUN CENTER.'

Beth (Early twenties redhead, 5' 4" with athletic build wearing jeans, tennis shoes and hoodie over t-shirt which reads 'Journey') and Tommy (Early twenties, heavy build, dirty blond crew cut, wearing jeans, and t-shirt with Pacman on it with a back pack on his back)Rush up the street towards the door.

BETH

(Slightly out of breath as they hurry along) You're sure we just needed the one bottle?

TOMMY

Yes. Bruce said that was the last thing we needed. 'The one with the mark on the label.'

BETH

OK, I just wanted to make sure.

Tommy reaches the door first and opens it, holding it for Beth to enter and following himself.

CUT TO:

INT. OF ARCADE DIMLY LIT AND NOISY WITH VARIOUS SOUNDS OF VIDEO GAMES.

Beth and Tommy work their way through the crowded arcade heading towards the back with the door to the work area.

TOMMY

Excuse me.  Sorry, Excuse me, pardon me, pardon me, excuse me, excuse me, pardon me, coming through.

BETH

Sorry, Thank you, Sorry. You know I just love that old Bugs Bunny routine.

Tommy reaches the door first and knocks on it 3 times, waits for 2 beats and then knocks 3 more times. After a short delay 2 knocks are barely heard back over the noise of the arcade. Tommy knocks twice more and the door opens revealing a dimly lit room within and a skinny, balding man in his late 30's dressed in a suit.

CUT TO:

INT.WORKROOM/OFFICE OF ARCADE. SEVERAL TABLES WITH MISCELLANEOUS ELECTRONIC PARTS STREWN AROUND AND A DESK COVERED WITH PAPERS. SHELVES FULL OF OTHER PIECES AND PARTS LINE THE WALLS OF THE ROOM. BEHIND THE DESK IS A WELL USED, WORN LEATHER EXECUTIVE CHAIR.

Pops (an older gentleman in his mid 60's, 6'4" with a shock of stark white hair and a wiry build) is on the phone while he sits in the chair behind the desk and looks towards the door as Bruce lets Tommy and Beth in.

POPS

(into the phone) Yeah, they just arrived... I haven't had a chance yet.  I'll let you know when I find out...OK...later...bye.

He hangs up the phone and stands to talk to Beth and Tommy.

POPS

Did you find it?  Did you find the Ozzastru?

TOMMY

(With a tone of suffering and lack of understanding) Yeah we found the olive oil in the locked cabinet, right where you said. What's so special about this olive oil, anyway?

POPS

(With a sharp tone and then exacerbation at having to explain to him one more time)Ozzastru is not just olive oil, it is the finest of oils made from the first pressing of olives from what is regarded to be the mother tree in Santu Baltolu di Carana in Sardinia, Italy. 

Tommy takes off his backpack, reaches in a retrieves a bottle. He hands it to POPS.

TOMMY

I get that, but what makes this so special?

POPS

The oil is said to have the power to restore health and beauty, but what's important to us is that it is worth $150 per ounce and each bottle contains twelve ounces.

BETH

So, you're saying that each bottle is worth 15 grand?

POPS

No, do the math again - Eighteen hundred dollars a bottle.

TOMMY

Times twenty four bottles, that's over forty thousand dollars a case!

POPS

Now you see why it was so important to obtain a verified bottle to authenticate the case. I happen to know of another 11 cases sitting in customs right now.

TOMMY

I get it now! There's money in oil!

Just then there is a knock at the door. Pops quickly puts the bottles into the box while Bruce heads to open the door.

POPS

Ah, that should be Mr. Samuels, right on time. Bruce, let him in.

Bruce opens the door and a very well dressed man enters the room followed by a bodyguard type carrying a briefcase. Pops stands and walks over to greet Mr. Samuels.

POPS

Mr. Samuels.  So nice to see you again.  Welcome to my humble establishment.

SAMUELS

Let's not pretend this is a friendly transaction.  You have something of mine I wish to retrieve.

POPS

You are mistaken. I am offering you something of value that I have acquired.

SAMUELS

I see. So there is more than what I lost?

POPS

See for yourself. I have a full case for sale.

SAMUELS

That's a deal.

POPS

But you haven't heard the price...

Just then the door is broken open with uniformed men rushing into the room and the bodyguard pulls a gun and badge from within his coat.

BODYGUARD

(yelling) FREEZE! FBI.  You are under arrest.

POPS

You're FBI?

SAMUELS

No, but I do love my oil and when your man took it, I contacted my friend here to get it back.

BRUCE

(Laughing) You idiot, I'm with Customs. We got word of a smuggler trafficking in stolen oil and set up this sting.

SAMUELS

Stand down men.(to BRUCE) you know that bottle he took was fake?

BRUCE

We did.  We've been tracking them since they left Greece.

POPS

So you mean there is no real Ozzastru here? 

BRUCE

Nope. We've got eleven more cases of fake as well.

POPS

Any chance I could keep this case as a memento?

BRUCE

Sure, in fact since the shipper is in the wind, I'll send the other cases over as well for the trouble.

POPS

Thank you, you are too kind.

Bruce, the uniformed officers as well as the Bodyguard and Samuels leave the office.

POPS

OK gang. I'm sorry. I couldn't let you know it wasn't a real job, but we had to follow their lead. Looks like we aren't getting rich today.  Sorry guys. Maybe next time. Tell you what the drinks are on me this evening.

They all file out leaving Pops alone in the office. His walks to his desk and dials the phone.

POPS

Hello... Yeah I'm alone. Got the bottle here. Its not even extra virgin? You are bad. OK, I'll retrieve them and bring them home. I know, I know there are 12 of them in each. We’ll get the rest when the cases come up for auction. Love you too dear.

He retrieves the marked bottle from the case and heads over to the sink where he grabs the strainer, opens the oil and pours it in. As the oil drains out twelve large diamonds are revealed.

Fade out.

No comments:

Post a Comment